GNU make version

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 22:27:02 PST 2012

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 01:28:05AM +0100, Mat M wrote:
> Hello
>
> Could someone point to archive on choosing gnumake ?
> I am surprised cmake was not elected, since the C means
> cross-platform, and that is one basic of LO.

Sigh, life would not be complete without enthusiasts telling us we
should switch to cmake (or Qt) every few months. So, please, go read
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis for the
basics and
http://openoffice.2283327.n4.nabble.com/New-build-system-td2928559.html
for more questions and answers.

GNU make _is_ cross-platform without having to put "c" in its name (just
like all GNU tools). And I presume it already supports more platforms
than cmake ever will.

D.