[PROPOSAL] get rid of clone/*, use git submodules for binfilter, dictionaries and help

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 08:58:46 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Christian Lohmaier
> <lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> + a build point is identified by one and only one sha, which is
>>> imperative to manage a build-farm ( gerrit+jenkins and the ability to
>>> test-build every patches)
>
> And I forgot:
> Every change in one of the submodules requires touching the containing
> repo as well (to update the submodule's version-info.
>
> So to "test every patch" you cannot just use the containing repo. If
> people check in stuff to one of the submodule but don't update the
> containing repo accordingly, you won't see the change on your
> buildmachine..

hum... that is covered by gerrit (whith 2.3, when you integrate a
patch on a dependent submodule it 'update' the parent accordingly

but still the previous points you mentioned about ./g are indeed true...
and managing branchand change in the submodule can be confusing (the
submodule get checked-out as a detached head, so one need to checkout
a branch/master before doing changes there...

still I'd like to find a way to get the buildbot to build things that
are not necessarily the HEAD fo a branch...
one thing I am considering is improving the external dependency
'fetch' to support git-based external, and then treat these git repos
as 'external dependencies'....

Norbert

Norbert