[PROPOSAL] get rid of clone/*, use git submodules for binfilter, dictionaries and help

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at suse.cz
Tue Mar 13 00:52:25 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 06:44:40PM -0500, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> you are right...
> that would means that ./g remain but is adapted to update the
> appropriate submodules based on bin/git-repos
>
> I could each ./g pull to update the submodules after pulling core...
> and other user-friendly stuff ...
> I need to play a bit more with it

Hm, I'm not exactly sure. Did you search for submodule in 'man
git-config'? There is a nice submodule.<name>.ignore, I can imagine
setting that can avoid ./g pull, given that 'git pull' by default
updates submodules as well, if the submodule reference is updated.
(I mean setting where you enable git hooks, etc.)

> only to the extent that you care for that commit to be visible in core...
> practically if you are going to push a patch series on binfilter for
> instance, there is no reason to upgrade core at every commits.

Sure, from a user's point of view, best to update core.git before push,
not after every commit.