[Libreoffice-qa] [ANN] LibreOffice 3.4.6 RC2 test builds available

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Mar 14 10:38:54 PDT 2012

Hi Rainer,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 05:48:17PM +0100, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> We still have 45 unfixed regressions compared to 3.3, Lifecycle of
> 3.4 will end with 3.4.6(?), so this version is more or less useless
> for most (or at least very many) 3.3 or 3.4 users.

While I agree that 45 regressions is not at all a state that is generally
acceptable for a EOL release, the 3.4 cycle has been very special in oh so many
ways. I do not expect this to repeat itself in 3.5.

> It's my belief that we will have to rethink our release concept.

While being open to further concrete proposals for improvement, I dont think
there is a fundamental flaw with the release concept itself. The quality of
3.5.0 and and 3.5.1 show that the number of regressions in 3.4 were a one-time
outlier. We have to make sure it does not happen again, but I see no general
flaw with our release model.

We need to be sure to detect and pinpoint regressions earlier and more precise
than in 3.4 -- and we have that with unittests, subsequenttests, onegit and
bibisect -- all means that we were still missing in the 3.4 series.

Those were the parts that needed changing and they are changed already. It
doesnt end there though: With gerrit and the currently ongoing efforts in QA in
addition to the tools named above, we are getting even better early warning and
enable ourselves to quickly and confidently fix regressions.

Best,

Bjoern