[Libreoffice-qa] [ANN] LibreOffice 3.4.6 RC2 test builds available

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Mar 14 11:11:54 PDT 2012

Hi Pedro,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 05:32:04PM +0000, Pedro Lino wrote:
> Maybe branch 3.4.x should continue to be updated (in the same way that
> Mozilla keeps fixing bugs in version 3.6.x, with x currently at 28, even
> though the latest version is 11.0...) until at least all 3.3.x regressions
> are fixed???

No, as a) that is a _lot_ of work b) Mozilla is not comparable as those fixes
are security fixes, while Rainer was talking about feature regressions, which
is a completely different beast.

Given the state of the 3.5 series we can expect at least 3.5.2/3.5.3 to be
already a lot more stable than 3.4.4/3.4.5 were -- this dimishes developer
motivation to backport fixes to 3.4. And as Rainers post confirms, it is the
same in QA. I dont see this as a Bad Thing actually: 3.5 is so good and so much
better, that it is a Good Thing if it is the focus of our efforts now.

Best,

Bjoern

P.S.: If the 3.5 series was a weak release and 3.4 was an exceptionally strong
one, my opinion might have been different. But lets not talk about imaginative
scenarios: 3.5 is a very strong release series!