Regressions in Open Source projects ...

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 07:15:11 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Pedro Lino <pedlino at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand the straw-man concept

Since that is a common rhetorical tools:
"A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy
based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a
straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition
by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent
proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having
actually refuted the original position."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Here the straw-man is to replace 'regression should be a high
priority' with 'we should not ship unless the regression counter is 0'
... which incidentally is exactly what you explain after saying 'I'm
not sure I understand the straw-man concept' .. so, in fact, you did
understand, you just did not know there is a name for it. :-)

Norbert