[GBUILD] Can we get rid of gbuild_simple ?

Matúš Kukan matus.kukan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 07:47:18 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'd like to propose removing gbuild_simple.mk over time.
Surely there will be more custom targets as gbuild is growing and I
can't see why we would need gbuild_simple.
Instead we can write rules to Package_foo.mk makefiles or if that
would be problem (because they will be ugly)
We can start using CutomTarget_foo.mk which will be supposed to be ugly.

The reasons are:
1, Sometimes we need to parse custom target's Makefile each time as in
packimages case.
I had to use:
$(eval $(call gb_CustomTarget_add_outdir_dependencies,packimages/pack,\
    $(gb_Helper_PHONY) \
))
to achieve that.

2, It is enough then to write dependencies only once.

3, No need to maintain gbuild_simple.

4, No recursive make running.

I am sending two patches for packimages.
Maybe we should use the second one and keep Package_foo.mk pretty ?
One small disadvantage is that we need to depend on directory.

It allows as to use compatible mode and keep old way of processing
custom targets until they are replaced.
There are 31 custom targets now, so that should not be a big problem.
I can do it over time or maybe we could even write an easy hack for that.
The important thing is to write new custom targets in
CustomTarget_foo.mk makefile.

What do you think ? Am I missing something ?

Regards,
Matus