Seeking advice on vcl sizing

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Mar 19 05:12:14 PDT 2012

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 16:13 +0000, Andrew Higginson wrote:
> I need some advice with sizing of controls and windows on vcl

	:-)

> So for the about dialog, currently I am setting its size based on the
> width of the user's screen (e.g. 1/3 of the screen)

	ok - could be a bit big on my 1920x1200 32" screen ;-)

> Then I am sizing all the controls relative to this, and finally at the
> end, checking that they all fit (and if not resize as appropriate)

	Ok ?

> What I wanted to ask was, is basing the size of the about dialog on
> the size of the screen the best idea? Or should I be doing it another
> way, based on the font size for example?

	Typically, for dialogs - unless they have scrollable content panes that
can use more space - and thus you'd want them to be big; we'd allocate
them at a sensible size, such that the contents fit nicely - often
that's done using font units so it scales reasonably.

	Thanks !

		Michael.