About Strings

Noel Grandin noelgrandin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 08:19:26 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 16:05, Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> wrote:
> hmm... what i'd really like from a string class is that it has no
> operator[] at all (who needs that anyway), just an iterator interface
> that returns characters as uint32_t, and another interface to write the
> string UTF-8 encoded into some buffer, thus allowing for picking
> whatever internal implementation is most suitable.

Which is pretty much the java CharSequence interface :-)
,..which is the interface that the Sun engineers retrofitted into the
JDK when it became apparent that that was the optimal design in a
Unicode world.

Although we really also need AsciiString classes with index operators
for efficient dealing with network and file-level protocols.