[UX advise] Key navigation in ValueSet controls

Matteo Casalin matteo.casalin at gmx.com
Mon Mar 19 14:15:54 PDT 2012

Hi Astron,
     thanks for you feedback.
Before beginning to modify the behavior of key navigation, I'd like to
recap the things that I should do, as from my understanding of our
discussion. Would you mind confirming them (yes/no will suffice)?

* left/right keys should not wrap around from top to bottom or bottom
   to top
* up/down, page up/down should not wrap around from top to bottom or
   bottom to top
* up/down should move along the current column.
* page up/down should move to first/last item when no more motion in
   the same column is possible (I'm not sure you agreed on this)
* key modifiers should not modify navigation behavior, unless needed.
   In particular, ALT/CTRL should not disable motion through page up/down
   as they currently do.
* Use tab/shift tab for moving to/from NoneItem field. I don't know if
   this can be done, since these keys are use for moving through widgets,
   while we would use them for motion inside the same widget. I'll test
   it.
* If the previous is not possible, move to/from NoneItem field through
   normal motion keys, but the only entry/exit point is the first item.
* Return key should close menus
* Return key should not close ValueSet widgets embedded in other
   windows.

I'll start working on this after a final feedback from you.

Thanks and best regards
Matteo