ancient openssl bundled

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Mar 27 10:25:56 PDT 2012

Hi Enrico,

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 19:04 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Most of the patches are ancient, against ancient versions, completely
> outdated. Many of them are only quick and dirty hacks for the bundled
> building

	:-) if you have fixes / improvements they are most welcome. Clearly
waiting for an up-stream release (eg. gnumake - at over 12 months since
the last release), is not always an option - at which point, you have to
patch the pristine source tar-ball; checkout the patch count on most
working linux distributions :-)

> Just a sidenote: in one of my recent projects, i've been working on
> for about a year, we had exactly the same problem. It's a software for
> medical data aquisition computers und Linux embedded devices.

	Sounds like they fell into the embedded linux trap, and needed to
standardise on a better setup shared with others, pocky / Yocto or
something. I agree with your analysis here.

> PS: please forgive me, if I'm a bit too emotional, but I really hate
> seeing resources burned on nonsense.

	So - perhaps I just don't understand the alternative well enough; lets
assume we find a build bug in openssl on some minority platform - say
AIX, what does your perfect-world flow look like :-)

	All the best,

		Michael.