[ANN] LibreOffice 3.5.2 RC2 test builds available

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 16:34:35 PDT 2012

Hi Michael, all

Michael Meeks-2 wrote

>> Since each dictionary is an Extension and extensions are checked at load
>> time, having dozens of un-needed dictionaries loaded not only makes first
>> load take ages but surely increases memory usage ? (I haven't tested this
>> but
>> I can tell for sure that dev builds which only have three languages load
>> significantly faster)
>
> 	It'd be interesting to compare like for like; in theory there is no
> reason at all why having a lot of dictionaries installed -needs- to
> cause grief, it'd be interesting to get some hard warm-start time /
> memory numbers on that; if you can (?)

Actually you are right. It is not the dictionaries. I did a parallel install
of LO 3.5.2.2 and run it 3 times with all dictionaries and 3 times only with
the English dictionary. The load time was consistently 29 seconds (a little
slow...)

Now the interesting part is that I got a dev build from the same day
(3.5.3.0 which I know it's not the same code but I believe that is not what
is making the difference) and the load time was repeatedly 4 seconds!!!

I will investigate some more as time allows ;)

Regards,
Pedro