On SSL library support

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu May 3 20:27:59 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Patrick McCarty
<patrick.mccarty at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Due to a license conflict with a project I was working on, I had the
> task of building LibreOffice without OpenSSL support.
>
> To accomplish this, I replaced the relevant code from the OOX module
> that uses the OpenSSL API (from oox/source/core/filterdetect.cxx) to use
> the NSS API instead, and made some makefile adjustments to get things
> compiling and linking properly.  The other system dependencies of
> LibreOffice that use OpenSSL by default were compiled to use NSS or
> GnuTLS instead (e.g. curl, neon, and gnome-vfs2), so I didn't have to
> worry about any "indirect" dependencies on OpenSSL.
>
> I realize that a more appropriate solution would be to conditionally
> compile the two code paths using WITH_OPENSSL and WITH_NSS after adding
> configure flags (--with-openssl and --with-nss) so that packagers can
> select the preferred SSL library.
>
> Is there any interest in adding this type of multiple/fallback SSL
> library support to LibreOffice?

Implemented properly as you describe above (--with-xxxx ) I don't see
the harm in having that flexibility.
I'd imagine that this need to be propagated (the config) to
curl,neon,etc.. in case theses are not pulled from the system but
built internally.

Norbert