[HOW-TO] Building LibreOffice on Windows using RAM-Drive

Noel Grandin noel at peralex.com
Mon May 7 05:26:41 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-07 14:08, Andras Timar wrote:
> Out of interest, could you please share the know-how of building with
> RAM-Drive under Windows 7? Thanks, Andras

(0) I'm building under Windows7-64, using the latest Cygwin release, and
the Visual Studio 2008 compiler.

(1) I use the excellent free (donationware) IMDisk utility to create a
ram-disk. I appear to need around 5G of space for this RAM-disk.
http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk
During the build, at peak this machine was using around 10G of RAM.

(2) run configure with the --with-solver-and-workdir-root option
pointing at the ram-drive. For example, mine looks like
--with-solver-and-workdir-root=/cygdrive/D
where D: is my RAM-drive.

(3) You need Matus Kukan's patch to use mixed paths under cygwin (at least until it gets committed).

And voila! It builds in about an hour on this machine (8-core AMD processor)