3.5.3rc1 win32 / debug package ...

Jesús Corrius jesus at softcatala.org
Thu May 10 03:13:13 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>        Trying to get a good stack trace from vcl, I downloaded 3.5.3rc1 from:
>
>        http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/win32-debug/libreoffice-3-5/
>
>        I get a beautiful crash in the MSVC++ debugger, but no symbols; I try
> to add vcllo.pdb from LOdev 3.5\program and it moans: "The symbol file
> vcllo.pdb does not match the module."

In order to match the module must be from the same exact compilation.

I looked at the package and it seems *some* modules are missing
debugging symbols. Most probably something is not working right in the
build system when the debug flag is enabled.

In any case, the right way to do it would be to automatically generate
all PDBs for each released version, for example in:
solver\wntmsci.pro\pdb.
Then we put those generated PDBs online at symbols.libreoffice.org.

With that, any Microsoft debugging tool can access to the symbols with
the following path: SRV*c:\symbols*http://symbols.libreoffice.org [1]

The advantages of this approach are:

- You don't need to download a debug version.
- If you have the symbols of all released versions in the servers, the
debugging tools will find the right ones for your version
automatically.
- It's possible to create very nice stack traces automatically if
LibreOffice crashes for regular users to report.
. On the other side, if you have a server that recieves the crashes
without debugging symbols, you can make automatic prepocessing and
classification of the bugs once you get the dump from the clients in
the server side.

In any case, I will try to find some time to look at the issue in my
debug builds.

Sigh.

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311503

--