--enable-debug vs --enable-symbols (Re: [Libreoffice-commits] .: 12 commits - config_host.mk.in configure.in filter/source oox/source sal/inc sc/source solenv/gbuild toolkit/source xmlhelp/source)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri May 18 07:05:35 PDT 2012

On Friday 18 of May 2012, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 05/16/2012 05:01 PM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > - non-debug/dbgutils (i.e. also the default) ->  -O2
> > - symbols ->  -g  (probably even -g1, if this is actually meant for
> > release builds with debug info sufficient mainly for backtraces)
> > - debug/dbgutils ->  -g, making sure it overrides -g1 from symbols
> > - explicit C(XX)FLAGS overrides anything
>
> ...and, as something of a special case, no -O... at all (instead of the
> default -O2) for sc under --enable-debug=-sc/?

 Yes, but I don't think it's special. The rule, missing in the list above,
would be 'debug/dbgutils -> optimizations disabled'. So as soon as
there's --enable-debug, nothing would get -O2, regardless of symbols.

 That's actually one more reason why I think -g should be primarily controlled
by --enable-symbols and not --enable-debug.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz