build time optimization

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Sat May 26 02:45:13 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 09:23 +0200, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> I'm trying to accelerate LO (developer) build on linux_x86-64 system.

	:-) one systematic approach to this might be to try to unwind which
complex[1] headers are most included and see if, in fact, with some more
strategic forward definitions we can avoid that.

	For the gnumake world the workdir/*/*.d files have all those deps that
can easily be sedded / sorted / uniq -c'd / sorted etc. into a list of
the top includes.

	That of course has the benefit of creating a long-term speedup for all
of us that won't involve custom tweaking the system. IIRC there was some
easy hack related to that too.

	ATB,

		Michael.

[1] - where complex is presumably defined by 'slow to parse' (perhaps we
could time a compile of include <that-header.hxx> in a .cxx)