Work in progress to allow for editing of read-only documents

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu May 31 02:51:24 PDT 2012

Hi Stephan,

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 10:09 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> Just a heads up on the attached
> 0001-Work-in-progress-to-allow-for-editing-of-read-only-d.patch.  Its
> commit message gives a rationale for what I aim at with the patch, but
> also explains why its not yet ready for prime time.

	Sounds like a lovely feature - wow that functionality is annoying ! :-)

> Nevertheless, I would appreciate it if people versed with the details of
> the various applications could give it a try, to see whether it breaks
> any obscure behaviour.  (For example, there is reportedly already some
> support in Writer for editing form content of r/o documents.  Does this
> patch affect that?)

	I'll send you a sample document with the wunder-interoperable fields in
it.

>   The patch looks rather short, but I struggled with
> it on-and-off over the course of several weeks, as every little change
> triggered unexpected changes in other, seemingly unrelated areas.

	:-)

> I'll try to get the Calc (and other applications?) problems fixed as
> soon as possible (I only noticed that problem now that I thought I was
> mainly done, but had only ever tested my changes with Writer), but am
> reluctant to press this into master towards LO 3.6 so short before
> feature freeze.  Experience won over the last weeks indicates that too
> many surprises lurk in this area.  So I would really like to hear other
> people's thoughts.

	How many unit tests did we get out of that experience ;-> if there were
some, I'd be well up for putting it into 3.6. If we find it causes
significant problems, it looks small enough to back out reasonably
easily (right?).

	ATB,

		Michael.