On support for Ideographic Variation Sequences

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 04:50:24 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 09:42 +0900, Takeshi Abe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am now wondering how we can approach support for ideographic variation sequences
> (IVS) in LibreOffice, which has been long requested as you can see at [1].

For our Linux story anyway I wonder why (these are new to me) icu
doesn't know about these already and "do the right thing" at least for
the purposes of rendering text. Maybe a dig into the icu trac on the ivs
search terms might throw up some additional info ?

> So far, having read [2] about Mozilla's case, I think HarfBuzz looks promising for
> the purpose. And employing the library has already been mentioned [3] in somewhat
> different context in this list.

Yeah. FWIW it's also quite possible that icu might itself eventually end
up sitting on top of harfbuzz.

C.