spell checker issue

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 06:41:10 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-09-30 at 12:47 -0700, Steven Howe wrote:
> Who deals with spell checker dictionary issues?
>
> I'm using the work " men's "; the spell checker thinks this is wrong,
> although spell checker for gmail does not. I've visited webster's
> dictionary online. "men's" appears to be the correct spelling.

English - US, right ? Best in general to submit a bug about these
things. But it does bring up the general case as to what's the
"canonical" upstream for the English dictionaries.

e.g. for Fedora I consider Kevin's wordlist at
http://wordlist.sourceforge.net/ as the upstream of the en-US dictionary
and in that light I've submitted
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3576342&group_id=10079&atid=1014602
which would allow men's, women's and other possessive of irregular
plural nouns.

I'm not entirely sure of the provenance of the en-US dictionaries we
have in LibreOffice. I mean, IIRC they are derived ultimately from
Kevin's list, but I don't know if they are resynced occasionally or if
Nemeth is maintaining them in some source format somewhere else. Or if
they have accidentally forked themselves over time.

They definitely appear to be at least affix compressed or something into
something sufficiently unreadable I can't trivially see the right way to
add men's, women's to the copies we have in our tree :-)

C.