Windows build help: failed to load dynamic library

Jeremy Brown jeremy.r.brown at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 22:16:37 PDT 2012

I'm still struggling to get a first successful build of LibreOffice on
Windows 7 (64bit).

Currently I'm getting errors like this in tail_build

[build LNK] CppunitTest/itest_i18npool_test_ordinalsuffix.lib
Failed to load dynamic library: D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarge
t/CppunitTest/test_i18npool_test_languagetag.dll
The specified module could not be found.
Error: a unit test failed, please do one of:
export DEBUGCPPUNIT=TRUE            # for exception catching
export GDBCPPUNITTRACE="gdb --args" # for interactive debugging
export VALGRIND=memcheck            # for memory checking
and retry.
make[2]: *** [D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/CppunitTest/i18npool_test_l
anguagetag.test] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Dev/libo/libo/tail_build'
make[1]: *** [tail_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Dev/libo/libo'
make: *** [tail_build] Error 2

The file does exist though:
workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarget/CppunitTest/test_i18npool_test_languagetag.dll

I don't know what I should do next. I've been flailing around trying
different things but I just keep getting this error. I thought that
since it was an error on an i18npool file, I should make
i18npool.clean and then make i18npool but when I do that, at the end I
get some strange (to me) stuff at the bottom, ending with an error:

[build LNK] CppunitTest/itest_i18npool_test_languagetag.lib
localedata_zu_ZA.cxx
   Creating library D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarget/Library/it
extconv_dict.lib and object D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarget/Li
brary/itextconv_dict.exp
[build CUS] i18npool/localedata
   Creating l[build LNK] Library/ilocaledata_en.libib
rary D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarget/CppunitTest/itest_i18npoo
l_test_languagetag.lib and object D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTar
get/CppunitTest/itest_i18npool_test_languagetag.exp
LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'LIBCMT' conflicts with use of other libs; us
e /NODEFAULTLIB:library
test_languagetag.o : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ??0LanguageTag@@QAE
@G at Z (public: __thiscall LanguageTag::LanguageTag(unsigned short)) imported in f
unction "public: void __thiscall `anonymous namespace'::TestLanguageTag::testAll
Tags(void)" (?testAllTags at TestLanguageTag@?A0xb3415d4d@@QAEXXZ)
test_languagetag.o : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ??0LanguageTag@@QAE
@ABULocale at lang@star at sun@com@@@Z (public: __thiscall LanguageTag::LanguageTag(st
ruct com::sun::star::lang::Locale const &)) imported in function "public: void _
_thiscall `anonymous namespace'::TestLanguageTag::testAllTags(void)" (?testAllTa
gs at TestLanguageTag@?A0xb3415d4d@@QAEXXZ)
test_languagetag.o : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ?isIsoODF at LanguageT
ag@@QBE_NXZ (public: bool __thiscall LanguageTag::isIsoODF(void)const ) imported
 in function "public: void __thiscall `anonymous namespace'::TestLanguageTag::te
stAllTags(void)" (?testAllTags at TestLanguageTag@?A0xb3415d4d@@QAEXXZ)
test_languagetag.o : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ?isIsoLocale at Langua
geTag@@QBE_NXZ (public: bool __thiscall LanguageTag::isIsoLocale(void)const ) im
ported in function "public: void __thiscall `anonymous namespace'::TestLanguageT
ag::testAllTags(void)" (?testAllTags at TestLanguageTag@?A0xb3415d4d@@QAEXXZ)
test_languagetag.o : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ?isValidBcp47 at Langu
ageTag@@QBE_NXZ (public: bool __thiscall LanguageTag::isValidBcp47(void)const )
test_languagetag.o : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ??1LanguageTag@@QAE
@XZ (public: __thiscall LanguageTag::~LanguageTag(void)) imported in function "p
ublic: void __thiscall `anonymous namespace'::TestLanguageTag::testAllTags(void)
" (?testAllTags at TestLanguageTag@?A0xb3415d4d@@QAEXXZ)
test_languagetag.o : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ?getLanguageType at La
nguageTag@@QBEGXZ (public: unsigned short __thiscall LanguageTag::getLanguageTyp
e(void)const ) imported in function "public: void __thiscall `anonymous namespac
e'::TestLanguageTag::testAllTags(void)" (?testAllTags at TestLanguageTag@?A0xb3415d
4d@@QAEXXZ)
test_languagetag.o : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ?getLocale at Language
Tag@@QBE?AULocale at lang@star at sun@com@@XZ (public: struct com::sun::star::lang::Lo
cale __thiscall LanguageTag::getLocale(void)const ) imported in function "public
: void __thiscall `anonymous namespace'::TestLanguageTag::testAllTags(void)" (?t
estAllTags at TestLanguageTag@?A0xb3415d4d@@QAEXXZ)
test_languagetag.o : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ?getBcp47 at LanguageT
ag@@QBE?AVOUString at rtl@@XZ (public: class rtl::OUString __thiscall LanguageTag::
getBcp47(void)const ) imported in function "public: void __thiscall `anonymous n
amespace'::TestLanguageTag::testAllTags(void)" (?testAllTags at TestLanguageTag@?A0
xb3415d4d@@QAEXXZ)
test_languagetag.o : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ??0LanguageTag@@QAE
@ABVOUString at rtl@@_N at Z (public: __thiscall LanguageTag::LanguageTag(class rtl::O
UString const &,bool)) imported in function "public: void __thiscall `anonymous
namespace'::TestLanguageTag::testAllTags(void)" (?testAllTags at TestLanguageTag@?A
0xb3415d4d@@QAEXXZ)
   Creating library D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarget/Library/il
ocaledata_en.lib and object D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarget/Li
brary/ilocaledata_en.exp
[build CUT] i18npool_test_languagetag
[build LNK] Library/ilocaledata_es.lib
Failed to load dynamic library: D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarge
t/CppunitTest/test_i18npool_test_languagetag.dll
The specified module could not be found.
Error: a unit test failed, please do one of:
export DEBUGCPPUNIT=TRUE            # for exception catching
export GDBCPPUNITTRACE="gdb --args" # for interactive debugging
export VALGRIND=memcheck            # for memory checking
and retry.
make[2]: *** [D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/CppunitTest/i18npool_test_l
anguagetag.test] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Dev/libo/libo/i18npool'
make[1]: *** [i18npool] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Dev/libo/libo'
make: *** [i18npool] Error 2

I tried restricting the build to run on just 1 cpu and ran make
tail_build, and it gave me a similar error in another module:

[build LNK] CppunitTest/itest_basic_scanner.lib
   Creating library D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarget/CppunitTes
t/itest_basic_scanner.lib and object D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/Link
Target/CppunitTest/itest_basic_scanner.exp
[build CUT] basic_scanner
Failed to load dynamic library: D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarge
t/CppunitTest/test_basic_scanner.dll
The specified module could not be found.
Error: a unit test failed, please do one of:...

So then I tried make basic.clean followed by make basic, which resulted in:

[build LNK] CppunitTest/itest_basic_nested_struct.lib
   Creating library D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarget/CppunitTes
t/itest_basic_enable.lib and object D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkT
arget/CppunitTest/itest_basic_enable.exp
   Creating library D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarget/CppunitTes
t/itest_basic_scanner.lib and object D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/Link
Target/CppunitTest/itest_basic_scanner.exp
   Creating library D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarget/CppunitTes
t/itest_basic_nested_struct.lib and object D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pr
o/LinkTarget/CppunitTest/itest_basic_nested_struct.exp
[build CUT] basic_enable
[build CUT] basic_nested_struct
Failed to load dynamic library: D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarge
t/CppunitTest/test_basic_enable.dll
The specified module could not be found.
Error: a unit test failed, please do one of:
export DEBUGCPPUNIT=TRUE            # for exception catching
export GDBCPPUNITTRACE="gdb --args" # for interactive debugging
export VALGRIND=memcheck            # for memory checking
and retry.
make[2]: *** [D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/CppunitTest/basic_enable.te
st] Error 1
Failed to load dynamic library: D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/LinkTarge
t/CppunitTest/test_basic_nested_struct.dll
The specified module could not be found.
Error: a unit test failed, please do one of:
export DEBUGCPPUNIT=TRUE            # for exception catching
export GDBCPPUNITTRACE="gdb --args" # for interactive debugging
export VALGRIND=memcheck            # for memory checking
and retry.
make[2]: *** [D:/Dev/libo/libo/workdir/wntmsci12.pro/CppunitTest/basic_nested_st
ruct.test] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Dev/libo/libo/basic'
make[1]: *** [basic] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Dev/libo/libo'
make: *** [basic] Error 2

So I don't know if all of the test dll's are broken and these are just
the first it has come to in the process, or what...
Any suggestions of what I should do?

Jeremy