Use of markup in .ui strings

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 06:14:45 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-21 at 00:47 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Commit 8274df8 seems to have introduced the use of markup in .ui files
> to set text in bold, however this is not really a good idea l10n-wise as
> it is very error-prone, Gnome is actually moving away from using markup
> in translatable strings[1], which I think something LibreOffice should
> do. Glade/.ui files support <attributes> which can be used to set text
> attributes that affect the while string, while markup is reserved for
> the rare case where only part of the string need to be marked up (though
> it is still not a very good idea).

We can make that change easily enough, and it would match our internal
logic far better anyway. The only (smallish) catch is that glade (well
3.12.0 anyway) defaults to having markup enabled, and putting <b>foo</b>
in the placeholder for frame labels so its a bit of a manual pain to
click through selecting bold instead. I'll change things around later
this week to use attributes instead, unless you want to give it a shot
for me :-)

C.