ENABLE_SYMBOLS=true does nothing

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:03:50 PDT 2012

On 10/30/2012 04:07 PM, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> On 10/30/2012 03:42 PM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>> On Tuesday 30 of October 2012, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Just noticed this today that, on master, the ENABLE_SYMBOLS=true doesn't
>>> seem to turn on symbols.
>>>
>>> Does this ring a bell to anyone?
>>

>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-October/040051.html
>>

> Thanks.  Obviously I missed that that change would eliminate
> ENABLE_SYMBOLS option altogether.
>
> Anyway, sounds like not many people use this option, and I happened to
> be one of the few that use it (?)  So, I wrote a wrapper to make to
> revive this use case.

> inside a module should just enable debug symbols, and nothing but symbols.

So, this script can add -g to the CXXFLAGS, but unfortunately the
symbols get stripped during linking because of -Wl,-S option passed to
the linker.

To work around this, I need to find a way to not add this -S option to
the linker flag in my wrapper script, but so far I'm a bit lost.  It's
easier to add an additional flag but is very hard to remove flag manually.

Any clever ideas?

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc