ENABLE_SYMBOLS=true does nothing

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Oct 31 09:39:37 PDT 2012

On Wednesday 31 of October 2012, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> I still don't see how the three different switches are confusing:
>
> enable-symbol: only add debugging symbols but still with optimization
> enable-debug: additionally no optimization to make it easier to debug

 and debug output

> enable-dbgutil: switch to stl debug library + some more stuff (binary
> incompatible)
>
> Maybe I'm missing something but they seem to be separated clearly and
> each has its own purpose.

 That's what I thought too, but reality didn't seem to quite match. Most
notably, after I extended --enable-symbols to be selective about which
modules get the -g, it ended up with
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=c8fa9bd8849f0503b3803465e8ce119581e11e33,
which moved the selective -g to --enable-debug (while claiming in the commit
log message that it's unlikely somebody actually wants such a feature). And
in general, in every single discussion about these 3 options there was always
somebody who was confused about them, so removing one of these generically
named options seemed like a good thing.

 But I'm not dead set against --enable-symbols, this just seemed the simplest
solution given the circumstances. If you manage to get the story right about
what these 3 options do (4 options, if the story doesn't include
moving --enable-selective-debuginfo functionality to --enable-symbols), go
ahead.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz