Selection of dictionaries per installation

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Mon Sep 3 10:01:24 PDT 2012

Stephan Bergmann píše v Čt 30. 08. 2012 v 13:16 +0200:
> At least with the "official" (<http://download.libreoffice.org>) Linux
> and Mac OS X installation sets, the base installation set contains en-US
> localization and only contains dictionaries "related" to that locale
> (dict-en, dict-es, dict-fr; see below for details of what "related"
> means).  The additional per-language langpacks contain dictionaries
> "related" to the given langpack (e.g., langpack_de contains dict-de).
>
> However, on Windows, the base installation set contains all available
> localizations and all available dictionaries.  During msi installation,
> some code apparently determines a default selection of only a subset of
> the "Additional user interface languages" entries (presumably based on
> the current system locale settings), but all of the available "Optional
> Components - Dictionaries" entries are selected by default.
>
> Hence, one suggestion to address that problem would be to reduce the
> amount of "Optional Components - Dictionaries" entries selected by
> default during Windows msi installation

> Initial reactions on IRC (see below) were that (a) the status quo on
> Windows was to avoid "political issues"

I would not be afraid of political issues. I would start with some
decent defaults and extend the list if people report bugs. I am sure
that we will never end up with all the dictionaries. In addition, we
could argue that users could always do custom installation.

Note that we have 112 dictionaries packaged for openSUSE. It is about
80MB of bzipped data. I guess that most of these will be in the upstream
LO sooner or later. I am sure that we do not want to install them all on
the user system.

Also I am not aware of any other application or operating system that
would install all dictionaries by default.

Best Regards,
Petr