idle comment ;->

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Apr 2 05:26:23 PDT 2013

Hi Tor,

	Your comment here is really interesting.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=428ae24e55b1b2d7c9578d0e8ac58bb8e202c3be

	IMHO - one big problem we have with VCL is the total lack of priority
for scheduling callbacks.

	We see this in lots of places - to try to get some sort of
prioritisation we currently have crazy stuff like small but variable
sized timeouts eg.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/vcl/source/window/window.cxx#n905

	Where you can see the attempt to make resizing a lower priority than
painting by having a slightly larger magic number of ms before it gets
done ;-) The idea of having hard-coded multi-ms timeouts (lots of them)
in the code is in itself really dumb IMHO.

	AFAICS we rather badly need a priority concept in our VCL main-loop
which matches the glib one - such that we can ensure that redraws get
processed properly, that we can queue idle callbacks to not conflict
with them, and so that we can get truly 'idle' things (like async.
word-counting for big docs in writer) to happen not only truly at idle,
but also far faster (by not having all these hard-coded timeouts ;-)

	Anyhow - looks like some great work there !

	ATB,

		Michael.