extracting extended tooltips from the help texts

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 17 07:20:51 PDT 2013

Hey Andras,

2013/4/17 Andras Timar <timar at fsf.hu>

> Hi Markus,
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM, Markus Mohrhard
> <markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > attached you'll find the initial work on extracting the tooltips from the
> > help texts.
> >

> I tried your patch and it works. I don't have strong opinion about the
> actual place of these files in install set. help/tooltips is fine for
> me.
>
> I have some concerns, however.
>
> * This patch and follow-ups will suddenly add ~70000 new words to
> translate to UI, effectively doubling the translatable wordcount. Old
> help translations can be migrated, but for those, who don't have help
> translations these strings will be new. Now, without local help,
> extended tips show normal tooltips - which are localized. After the
> patch English strings will appear in localized UI until teams complete
> translation of this huge amount.

Ok, I have no idea for that except maybe blocking the extended tooltips if
they are not translated.

> * Your work is part of the plan of getting rid of current help system
> (https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Wikihelp). But
> developments related to this happen on different time scales. You have
> a 80% ready patch, while other related tasks are only in planning
> phase. I don't see the advantage of integrating your patch into master
> (-> 4.1) now.

I don't see a big development item there that is in the planning stage. I
worked on this task because Kendy told me that it is the largest blocking
item for moving to the wikihelp.

> * Huge properties files will be converted to huge po files. From the
> translators' and translation tools' point of view, it would be better
> to have more, smaller files.

Ok. We can surely move the uno commands into own files which should help
with that a bit.

> * Originally (very long time ago) these extended tips were next to the
> resource, there was a HelpText field. Later HelpText became deprecated
> and these strings were shared with help, in order to reduce the amount
> of duplication. Now you restore the duplication, but strings are still
> out of context. Ideally the text of a control, its short tooltip
> (QuickHelpText) and its extended tip (HelpText) should be together. It
> would help translators a lot.

We can maybe do that when we transform src files to ui files but I'm unsure
how to do that for uno commands. For the ui files this can easily be done
as Easy Hack.

Regards,
Markus