bibisect related question

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Apr 18 14:40:19 PDT 2013

Hi Christina,

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:10:43PM +0200, Christina Roßmanith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've completed my first bibisect successfully. Now I have a range of
> commits to have a closer look at. I thought to create a branch
> reflecting the last good point and cherry-pick commits to see when
> the bug occurs again.

You could also use traditional `git bisect`:

 http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Debugging-with-Git

and tell it the good and bad commits. It will then set you in the middle and
bisect just like bibisect does -- except that you really need to do a build.

> But that branch does not build, it fails
> somewhere in libxmlsec so I decided to take the first bad point.
> This one builds but during make dev-install it fails with
>
> : *****************************************************************
> : ERROR: ERROR: Missing files at /home/cr/Software/LibO2/core/solenv/bin/modules/installer/scriptitems.pm
> line 1311
> : *****************************************************************
>
> Now I'm lost. What are the autogen.sh options used to create the
> bibisect builds?

It should be something like:

'--disable-dependency-tracking' '--disable-mozilla' '--disable-binfilter'
'--disable-linkoo' '--without-junit' '--without-help' '--without-myspell-dicts'
'--without-doxygen' '--disable-gnome-vfs'
'--with-external-tar=/run/bibisect/tarfiles'

you should find a autogen.log file in the root of the bibisect repo showing how
that build was configured.

>I've assumed that all states stored in bibisect are
> buildable ...

Kinda. Here is the build script:

 https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=dev-tools.git;a=blob;f=bibisect/build.sh;h=42427226aaa73b4764d0181f5c40aa4105809b67;hb=5306df2204cad2387fb43deef5fcaa145a7086bf

as you can see, it:
- tries multiple make runs
- takes anything that at least has an opt/-dir being generated as a success
- hotfixes some ugly buildbreakers by backporting in the range:
  3c5353256bb94ba99fea94939cf06ba723737c10 and 6a0972ced879259e7f960e7bb852b0e175a05b7a
  because otherwise we would have a huge blind spot over all that range

The last one is particulary unfortunate and a symptom of master being broken
too often/too long in those days, hopefully things are better now (at least
with gerrit there is little excuse for it to be otherwise). As with autogen.log
you should find a patch.log in the bibisect root, if that build was hotpatched.

Best,

Bjoern