Setting up one's git identity [was: Patch for postgresql driver]

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Sun Apr 21 04:37:56 PDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 12:26:52PM +0100, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 20/04/13 22:42, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

>> Both of these methods allow to use git "natively" to apply the patch,

>> and (assuming your git is setup properly) to automatically get your
>> suggested commit message and the information of authorship recorded
>> into git. For example, now I don't know whether the git authorship
>> email should be wolslists at youngmanorg.uk (like the wiki
>> Developers page says), antlists at youngman.org.uk (the address
>> that sent this mail) or the more personal address you used to
>> correspond with me by email in the past. Please advise. I'm also
>> not sure whether you'd like the authorship name to be "Anthony
>> W. Youngman" or "Anthony Youngman".

> I missed this bit in my earlier reply(s). Email address doesn't really
> matter, although "anthony" is probably best. The antlists address is
> really for mailing lists. Authorship - I'm happier with the long form -
> "Anthony W. Youngman" - the wol and the W are related (although they
> don't quite stand for each other :-)

OK, then do:

 git config --global user.name "Anthony W. Youngman"
 git config --global user.email anthony at youngman.org.uk

In this way your own git will put that information in your own
commits, which will be transferred with the "git push" (in the gerrit
case) or with the "git format-patch" (in the "send patch to mailing
list" case). (And neither you, nor anybody else will have to think
about these questions ever again, :) at least until you change
computers or something like that.)

--
Lionel