Different Gerrit workflows

d.ostrovsky at idaia.de d.ostrovsky at idaia.de
Tue Apr 23 06:36:34 PDT 2013

On Tue Apr 23 05:43:20 PDT 2013, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

> On 04/21/2013 01:04 PM, David Ostrovsky wrote:
>> So back to your use case: the content of your feature branch can be put
>> on Gerrit for *only* verification (not wasting days or weeks but only 2
>> hours) with *one* command:
>> git push logerrit <your_branch>:refs/for/master

> But that does not trigger the actual verification builds, does it?
it does not.

> My understanding is that one needs to ping a set of a few people who
> can actually trigger such builds.

Currently the members of three Gerrit groups can schedule the build:
BuildBotAdmin: 5 users
Administrators: 10 users
BuildBots: 1 (real) user

Because these groups are overlapping, we have 14 different users
that can currently schedule the build. Just ask on IRC. Have you tried?
(Or ask Norbert to add you to the "BuildBotAdmin" group.)

> My gut feeling is that as long as there is no quick and direct way
> for a developer (with direct commit rights, say) to trigger those
> builds, that feature will be used significantly less often than it
> could be.

As Norbert explained on other thread, we can not do it without
compromising the
buildbot set up for now: buildbot's whole interface depends currently
on Gerrit's
global capability `View Queue`. That is due to the fact, that Gerrit
Plugin API
doesn't support plugin's own capabilities (not yet).

As mentioned, the next steps are:
* put more hardware on buildbot
* extend the tool chain:
1/ visualize queue on Gerrit WebUI
2/ add "Schedule" button to core Gerrit Change screen (Current patch
set action panel)

David