[GSOC]Firebird Integration Weekly Update 11

Andrzej Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Sun Aug 25 09:48:34 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

Current status of the firebird-sdbc driver:

(- String/[VAR]CHAR only supported for now, numeric types should be
fairly simple to add.)
- Data Editing in the GUI works.
- Data Insertion works but buggy.*
(- Table and Column definition/manipulation is mostly complete, there
might still be a few minor-to-major issues, indexes aren't supported at
all.)

*Data is entered in the db ok (i.e. shown after closing and reopening a
table), but shown either incorrectly or not at all in the GUI directly
after insertion -- this is an anomaly in the interaction of dbaccess's
RowSet/CacheSet/etc. and the firebird-sdbc ResultSet which I'm currently
investigating.

This weeks progress in general:

- Cleaned up ResultSet's properties: use PropertyContainer instead of
PropertySetHelper, removing a lot of boilerplate code (that I didn't
really understand anyway).
- Set up storing the NULL value in PreparedStatements so that we can
actually save data to the db -- previously the null indicator being set
to a random value meant that firebird would simply ignore the input most
of the time.
- Made PreparedStatements reusable by closing the cursor before
re-running ("free statement" has a deceptive name and is in fact also
needed to close cursors before re-running a statement).
- Removed a whole bunch of unsupported and unneeded methods / interfaces
within ResultSet.
- Set sdbcx Table Privileges to actually allow editing of tables.
Currently we assume all privileges for embedded mode -- I still need to
add the code to retrieve privileges from remote dbs.
- Some SQL statement building simplification / simpler conditions within
DatabaseMetaData.
- Improved key handling: extended OKeysHelper to correctly drop Primary
and Foreign Keys.
- Added user retrieval: is currently unused and untested since we don't
actually have multiple users for an embedded db.

Cheers,

	Andrzej