No UNSIGNED_BYTE in Any

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 06:43:20 PST 2013

On 12/27/2012 03:14 PM, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> Ideally, I'd like that we fix this in LibreOffice 4.1.
>
> The cleanest would be to add support for unsigned 8 bit integer in
> Any, which as far as I understand would entail:
>
>   - adding typelib_TypeClass_UNSIGNED_BYTE to cppu/inc/typelib/typeclass.h
>
>   - adding "UNSIGNED_BYTE" to udkapi/com/sun/star/uno/TypeClass.idl (published!)
>
> I'm not sure what the consequences of the latter are. E.g. do all Uno
> bindings/bridges/... (Java, StarBasic, Python, ...) have to be updated
> one by one?

UNO Any can only hold certain UNO-related values, see
<http://www.openoffice.org/udk/common/man/typesystem.html>.  There is no
UNSIGNED BYTE type in UNO (and there is too many different numeric types
in UNO already, not too few).

In general, there will always be impedance mismatch between a given type
system (like the database-related stuff you quote) and UNO Any.  If
information about the original type system needs to be preserved in UNO
Any, that original type system needs to be encoded in UNO in some way
(say, by introducing structs for the various types).

Stephan