replacing OUString::valueOf(static_cast<sal_Int32>) ??

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Jan 11 03:39:21 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-11 at 08:46 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> That seems like it would have some backwards compatibility issues, but I
> suppose we could mark them as deprecated for a time before actually
> removing them.

	Sure - well, since they're in-lined I think this is prolly a sensible
API management rather than ABI management issue - and sal/ is a
sensitive area there; but yes - deprecating the old bits shortly would
be best :-) [ I wouldn't want to block the commit based on that - if
there is an incremental approach & committment to cleaning up our old
method invocations ]. IIRC we have a 'externally deprecated' semantic we
can use as well somewhere.

> > - I'm still not sold on the naming, OUString::valueInt() doesn't say much and
> > OUString::valueOfInt() feels cryptic. Can we please use something obvious
> > that doesn't need decyphering, such as , such as OUString::number() or
> > OUString::fromInt() (as much as I still don't like the idea of harcoding the
> > irrelevant type information in the name)?
>
> I think valueOf() is fine, but then I do a lot of programming in Java :-)
> But whatever, if the C++ people prefer another name, then so be it.

<bikeshed>
	oooh - the 'fromFoo' seems rather more descriptive to me ;-) and
shorter than both value and number ;->
</bikeshed>

	;-) nice work here though Noel, thanks for persisting - looking forward
to seeing it on master.

	ATB,

		Michael.