Thoughts on LibreOffice Math

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Jul 4 13:55:20 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-07-04 at 18:10 +0200, Frédéric WANG wrote:
> I think the visual rendering can be preserved when converting from
> StarMath to MathML, but the other direction is not possible since
> StarMath does not have all the MathML features.

	Right; well - I guess a one-shot move to MathML would need backing up
with an alternative 'as good as we can do it' StarMath version.

> I think enabling the visual editor by default is indeed important. What
> is blocking it from going out of experimental features? I think the GSOC
> student who worked on that mentioned some crashes and I can try to debug
> and fix them. Are there other serious bugs / missing features apart
> undo/redo?

	There was one ergonomic issue that Regina didn't like IIRC, but nothing
major no - it's a crying shame that 95% of the work was done to enable
it, but not the last bits :-) Also - wrt. undo/redo - IMHO serializing
the entire formula state (ultimately just a string) and a cursor
position on each keystroke would be a reasonably trivial sledge-hammer
solution ;-)

> Gecko has an editor but it currently does not know anything about MathML

	Ok :-)

> I think LibreOffice people just want basic math support
> without too much interaction with the other features of the rendering
> engine (although at least integration in the surrounding text is
> important).

	Sounds sensible.

>  I admit that I didn't check GtkMathView in details, but it
> seemed to be a small piece of code that is designed to be integrated in
> other applications and interactive edition is possible. The rendering
> did not seem so good to me (a font issue on my system?) but that would
> be better if Khaled adds Open Type MATH support.

	So - I guess if GtkMathView is MPLv2 and doesn't require glib/gtk
+/pango etc. I see no real problem with that :-) I wonder if we can get
some shared layout core - or if it's tied hard to pango (I'd assume so).
Failing that, I'd love to see more LibreOffice code in a form that is
re-usable in gtk+ apps - perhaps we can do the pluggable-ness inside
libreoffice for that ? or ...

	ATB,

		Michael.