LO 4.1.0 : debian desktop integration package

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Fri Jul 19 00:42:29 PDT 2013

Lionel Elie Mamane píše v Pá 19. 07. 2013 v 08:42 +0200:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 07:23:27AM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> > Le 19/07/2013 03:29, Lionel Elie Mamane a écrit :
>
> >> All packages in the TDF bundles (downloaded from www.libreoffice.org)
> >> have "libreoffice4.1" or "libobasis4.1" in their name. AFAIK Ubuntu
> >> does not contain any package with the name (because the TDF packages
> >> contain the version in their name, but the Ubuntu packages don't). So
> >> I fail to see how it wants to "update" a package from the TDF bundle.
>
> > It seems that the package name is not enough. If I understand well, it
> > is the bug fdo#67041
>
> Aha, precisely. fdo#67041 is that one of the packages is called
> "libreoffice" instead of "libreoffice4.1-debian-menus". And Ubuntu has
> a "libreoffice" package, with a higher version number (because of the
> epoch, that is the "1:" in front), so that package gets
> "upgraded". Since the Ubuntu package is a metapackage for ~all of
> LibreOffice, the whole Ubuntu-packaged LibreOffice gets installed :)
>
> The TDF one disappears from the menus, but should otherwise be
> unharmed.
>
> That's pretty annoying, yeah. It can be worked around by putting the
> misnamed "libreoffice" on hold in the package manager.
>
> However, there is worse coming. Someone that has installed this buggy
> 4.1.0.3 will not get a complete fix when upgrading to LO 4.1.1 :-(
> unless he/she uninstalls the misnamed "libreoffice" package.
> Actually, the new (now correctly named) libreoffice4.1-debian-menus
> package will fail to install because of file conflict with the
> still-installed misnamed libreoffice.
>
> We should add something like:
>
>  Replaces: libreoffice (= 4.1.0-)

We need to make sure that we do not break the native Ubuntu/Debian
packages. In fact, I do not understand why normal users install the
upstream Debian packages at all when they have the native packages with
even more features (e.g. KDE4) available.

We could also solve this by a notice in the release notes. It would not
be the first time when we asked users to remove the older version before
removing the new one.

> to the new libreoffice4.1-debian-menus package. Hmm... I should test
> that... Petr, how do I actually build those .debs?

You need to modify sysui/desktop/debian/control, see also
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=9642c6e66dd04ff3d91499cc1184c80a5d6d1707

Then you need to do "make sysui" and check the packages in
workdir/unxlngx6.pro/CustomTarget/sysui/deb.

Well, I am not sure if the dependencies are perfect. You might want to
do "make sysui.clean" before.

Anyway, the debs/rpms are not built by default. You need to enable it by
the configure options:

          --enable-epm
          --with-package-format=deb

Best Regards,