Comment on patch "Remove old outdated gallery images and sounds"

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Mon Jul 22 13:07:32 PDT 2013

Hi Samuel,

Samuel Mehrbrodt schrieb:
> Hi Regina,
>
> thanks for your comments.
>
> Concerning 1) and 2): I could not verify that. I just tried inserting an
> image from the Gallery and saved the file, and it was embedded. Can you
> explain how you did that?

(1) Start a new HTML document by File > New > HTML document.
Open Gallery, theme Backgrounds.
Right click a image, you get the items 'Insert' and 'Preview'.
Click 'Insert'. You get the items 'Copy' 'Link' and 'Background'
Click 'Background' and then 'Page'.

It is not possible to embed pictures in HTML (unless you transform to
base64), therefore they are always linked. This link is not listed in
Edit > Links, but you will see the source in Format > Page > Background.

(2) Start with a new Writer document, then do the same as in (1). The
only difference is, that you can break the link in Format > Page >
Background.

> 3) Sure, some might have done that. But I guess they are very few. We
> could then keep the images there forever.

But you need a way to migrate such documents, a HowTo in the release
notes for example.

> 4) You are right, they should not be removed as long as they are
> accessible. I would suggest to remove the whole "Image bullets"
> functionality. I don't see any use for them, they look so outdated.

Tastes differ.

Gallery bullets are not only used in lists, but also in charts for data
points. There the pictures are embedded, so old documents do not break.
But removing the graphics will reduce the ways users can format their
charts.

> 5) Do we need sounds? As far as I know they have been accessible in the
> Slide transition dialog (Impress). But who uses sounds for Slide
> transitions nowadays?

They are available at all places where you can insert something from the
Gallery.

Presentations are not only used in business, but for private slide shows
with vacation photos for example.

Or think of exercise in Primary schools. Young pupils surely like those
gimmicks.

> 6) How do you access these images? In which documentation? They are not
> listed in the Gallery afaik.

 From file, as other pictures.

I personally have used it in the Draw Guide. But I mean, when I teach
pupils using LibreOffice and speak about inserting pictures, I can say
to my pupils "open that folder" and all pupils will have the same picture.

Do you have sum up, how much KB you would gain by dropping the pictures
and how much by dropping the sounds?

Perhaps it can be a solution to pack the unwanted gallery themes into an
extension, so that they can be downloaded and installed on demand. But I
have never written such extension and can not say whether it is possible
at all.

Kind regards
Regina