Please hold off modifying sc in the next few weeks

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Fri Jun 14 07:11:38 PDT 2013

Hi Kohei,

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 09:29:56AM -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> I'm in the middle of a huge (I mean huge) refactoring in Calc core,
> which will take at least in the next few weeks to complete.  It
> touches pretty much every piece of the code in ScColumn and many
> surrounding code.  So, I'd appreciate it if you guys could hold off
> changes such as German comment translations and string conversions
> etc until this work is done. Having these other changes would only
> make my work a lot harder and I would have to spend more time
> merging, which delays completion of this work.

Im not too happy with essentially shutting down all development on master on
one application for an undefined timeframe. Can we make this a bit more
bearable by:

a/ a concrete timeframe, I would suggest until the 2013-06-30
   (with the option to extend the block another week a few days before the end
   should the need arise)
b/ make that work trackable and visible on a regularly pushed branch (maybe
   even regularly rebased), so it easier to see where possible conflicts arise
c/ instead of suggesting to stop all work on calc, divert those changes to
   gerrit, were those could stay "on hold" until the refactoring is done, and
   be merged in due time afterwards ...

Note also that some string refactorings or friends are global (e.g. removing a
member function), and excluding these would block all of LO, which is obviously
not a good thing.

Best,

Bjoern