LO /  Firebird DB Integration

Andres Gomez agomez at igalia.com
Mon Jun 24 02:31:22 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 11:25 +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Hi,

> > > really?  it bundles its own ICU?  argh... can you teach it to use the
> > > LO's ICU instead?  no reason why we'd need to ship 2 sets of ICU libraries.
> >
> > As I was writing in the wiki:
> > https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Development/Base/FirebirdSQL#Compilation
> >
> > We may hit some problems if we use LO's or systems ICU with the table
> >
> > I think the safest would actually be to use always FB's internal ICU
> > copy but other possible approaches are possible in order to face this
> > problem.
>
> I think you are thinking too short.
>
> Nnote that most distros will simply build with
> system-firebird. (and whatever THAT one is built against - looks
> like that it's *external* ICU here:
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/libfbembed2.5)

That's why in the initial discussions we were already talking about
removing the possibility of "system-firebird" and always using an
internal compilation:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Development/Base/FirebirdSQL#Compilation
http://firebird.1100200.n4.nabble.com/Firebird-as-backend-in-LibreOffice-td4633330.html

Of course, maybe other options that I've not taken into account are
better.

Br.
--
Andres Gomez