Thoughts on LibreOffice Math

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak andrew at pitonyak.org
Fri Jun 28 04:36:18 PDT 2013

On 06/27/2013 07:35 PM, Frédéric WANG wrote:
> I'm not an ODF/ODT expert but AFAIK these formats are just zip
> archives of XML documents.

Yes, that is correct...

> In particular, you'll find some "content.xml" files inside that are
> just MathML documents. So basically XML import/export of MathML is
> already done somewhere in LibreOffice since it is how ODF/ODT are
> designed.

So this is already allowed for, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

> Whether LibreOffice (or other programs) can handle arbitrary
> read/right of MathML is another story. As I said, LibreOffice Math is
> currently centered around its internal StarMath syntax. Some
> information are currently lost when exported to MathML (that's what
> I'm trying to fix) and some information are lost when imported from
> MathML (because StarMath is less expressive). LibreOffice cheats a bit
> by putting the StarMath source in an <annotation> element when
> exporting to MathML and by reading this source again when importing
> MathML. What I'm suggesting is to work directly on the MathML
> representation in the long term so that import/export is
> straightforward and no information will be lost. It will still be
> possible (and desirable) to use StarMath or other tools to generate
> MathML code, though.

Yes, I had read what you wrote earlier about storage in an annotation,
and it amused me a bit. I think that you also said that when other
things write an ODF document they may not write that annotation with
StarMath in it (I think you said that anyway).

I have never really been happy with StarMath, but I suppose that is to
be expected after being spoiled by the abilities in TeX and LaTeX. I am
not familiar with MathML, but, anything that improves this particular
capability is a good idea in my opinion.

>> Would a direct XML export be supported in ODF and thus usable in other
>> programs that read/write ODF files? I am not sufficiently familiar with
>> the ODF standard to know.
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Pitonyak
>> My Macro Document:http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.odt