fdo#61135 New feature in Calc: Stepped Lines graphs - first part of code submitted

Eric Seynaeve eric at seynaeve.be
Sun Mar 3 13:52:17 PST 2013

Hello Markus,

> > I also want to add some debug code in what I have done, mainly to print a
> > warning if new curve types are fed to LO. What's the best way to do that ?
> > From
> > https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_debug#Macros_Contro
> > lling_Debug_Code I would think to add the code in #ifdef SAL_LOG_WARN or
> > use the SAL_WARN macro.
>
> You should use SAL_WARN and SAL_INFO for these tasks. Additionally we
> are using more and more assert if we really want an abort for a
> special condition. THere is also SAL_WARN_IF and SAL_INFO_IF for
> conditional debug statements.

Thanks for the pointers. Looks like SAL_WARN_IF is what I want. I have amended
the patch with this already.

> > Anyway, I will now create a mock for the UI and discuss this on the UI
> > list. Once this is done, what would be the best way to add the new UI
> > functionality ? A friendly push in the right direction would save me quite
> > some time ;-)
>
> You should design the dialogs nowadays with Glade. We are switching
> from our old dialog descriptions to new glade xml files. Caolan wrote
> a nice wiki page about widgetllayout
> (https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/WidgetLayout). While
> it focuses mostly on transfering old dialogs to the new format it
> should give you a basic idea how to create a new one. If you need one
> of the custom widgets that we have somewhere in the code or other
> customization of an existing widget we can help you implement that.

I'm with you on new Dialogs. I could convert the existing dialog
(ChartTypeDialog?) to glade, but it seems a bit ambitious at the moment for my
knowledge in LO. Maybe later after getting more experience with simpler
dialogs. I saw Caolan's talk on FOSDEM and it seemed not too difficult for the
simpler dialogs.

Eric