LibreOffice text justification

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at suse.cz
Thu Mar 7 01:32:49 PST 2013

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 09:15:03AM +0000, Chris Tapp <opensource at keylevel.com> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, LO only uses the inter-word spaces for justification and it only makes these larger.
> This generally works fairly well in many cases, but it does sometimes lead to output with large gaps between
> words and where the gaps vary significantly between the lines of a paragraph.
>
> A more visually-pleasing result (important for book publication) can be obtained if the gaps are balanced within a paragraph.
> This can be done by defining a range for the inter-word gap (e.g. 80% to 120% of 'normal') and allowing the
> inter-character gaps to be altered as well (say -5% to 10%).
>
> I think adding this to LO would be really nice (possibly as an 'advanced' setting to hide it from 'normal' users) and would give it a
> major feature advantage over 'standard' word processors ;-)

Hm, I don't think the inter-word gap can be customized ATM. However,
inter-character spacing can be customized using Format -> Character ->
Position -> Spacing. Setting that to a small enough (but positive) value
seems to help here with a simple two-liner paragraph.

If this is not enough, I would look into adding a new paragraph property
to define additional inter-word spacing. The interesting part is to let
the layout take care of that option, Cédric's

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Cbosdo#From_paragraph_to_lines

has quite some code pointers on where that code is.

Miklos