archive / install slowness ...

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 14:04:46 PDT 2013

On 11/03/13 21:38, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 17:14 +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
>> actually that doesn't appear to be the case - none of the
>> dictionaries/Dictionary*.mk or */Zip*.mk use wildcard * to add files,
>> all list the files explicitly.
>
> But FWIW libexttextcat did use a pattern, for its fingerprints, and has
> been happily packing nothing for quite some time seeing as the pattern
> didn't work. I tried to get it to "do the right thing"
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=eba2ef9504fe4034cbb44840d459d82ab8a141b1

this doesn't work because you would have to use $(wildcard ...*), which
wouldn't work because it would be expanded at makefile parse time when
the UnpackedTarball isn't yet.

> but failed
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=d7ca9b5cbcac463dd1baa089180bac2a1c0e5e39
> so now it painfully lists everything when it really wants to just be a
> pattern.
>
> As an aside, I noticed the "file not found" or some such warning flying
> by during the build, and there are a bunch of *other* places warning
> about unmatched files during .zip created.

that is one of the reasons why i'm of the opinion that using wildcards
in a build system is almost always a Bad Idea, trading a short-term
inconvenience for subtle breakages and surprises.