make error

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Wed Mar 20 08:00:37 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 03:37:45PM +0100, d.ostrovsky at idaia.de wrote:
> Quoting Rene Engelhard <rene at debian.org>:
>
> >On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:22:59PM +0100, d.ostrovsky at idaia.de wrote:
> >>But why do we still stick to 1.5 source and target version of
> >>bytecode anyway?
> >
> >Wven when we didn't, you need to use =1.6 (if you built with java7)
> Which bring me to the question why? UNO java bridge doesn't support 1.7?

Because otherwise you get 1.7 bytecode which can not be ran with
1.6 Javas? (no idea whether it actually changed, but better safe than
sorry)

(And because openjdk6 on ia64 has problems we already build with
openjdk7 on ia64...)

> >which would still keep the need for -target so this is (at least half)
> >a no-op for this specific issue.
> >
> But then still what is here the rule and what is here an exception?
> The rule is we still must stick to -target 1.6.
> And the exception is that one distro can only handle
> -source 1.5 & -target 1.5 for now. So sensible default would be to
> only have -target 1.6 and have means to override that (in exception case.

As long as I can override both values (and it still builds with that)
that's fine with me.

Regards,

Rene