Killing the gerrit to dev-list spam ...

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu May 2 15:43:48 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 12:16:51AM +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> That means, for everyone not wanting to miss on relevant development,
> to subscribe to two lists?

It depends. You would need to subscribe to both lists, if you do not want to
miss out relevant development _by_ _mail_. You can of course also use gerrit
via web interface or whatever.

> And then people will cross-post,

Why? I dont see anyone posting to the gerrit list directly at all. If you want
you comment on that do it in a comment on gerrit (send via email or whatever).
This is what people are doing right now -- I rarely see someone to reply on a a
gerrit mail on the dev-list (and that is a Good Thing as replying on the
dev-list keeps the stuff invisible on gerrit).

> and folks previously only subscribed to the dev-list will either miss half of
> the discussion, or are forced to subscribe to the firehose.

The folks on the dev-list are already missing more than half of the
discussion as as Lionel notes the mailing list does not get the comments --
which it where almost ~all the interesting stuff happens. So the firehose we
have right now is sprinkling you enough to get wet, but not enough to get
clean.

> What is the actual advantage then, except causing disruption and pain,
> and having everyone and her grandma subscribe two lists instead of
> one? ;)

Subscribing a second list is not a lot of effort -- probably a lot less effort
than the custom filtering ~everyone is doing right now, while still having to
poll gerrit to see the comments (which are the relevant bits).

Not having to subscribe the firehose right from the start to keep in contact
with what is going on however might lower the barrier to entry quite a bit.

Best,

Bjoern