LibreOffice-SDK for MinGW

Joachim Langenbach joachim.langenbach at engsas.de
Tue May 7 09:27:41 PDT 2013

Hi Helmar,

> > I'm also trying to build the LibreOffice SDK with MinGW. Goal is to
> > connect an application compiled with MinGW to LibreOffice on Windows,
> > Linux and may be other platforms. Since my attampts to cross compile
> > LibreOffice are not very successfully, I have two questions, before
> > investing more time in that.
> In case youare interested I can submit my MinGW development environment for
> LO --- the office as stand-alone "beast" seems to work pretty well with
> some adjustments in the code (at least as far I was able to test it...).
> Please contact me directly on my e-mail account, I think there is too much
> code to be transferred via the list...

May be also others (including the libreoffice team, e. g. dtardon) are
interested in those files. Is there another (public) way to share those files
easily? (May be github or  something like that)

> Difficulties arise as soon as the UNO-environment contacts the office and
> tries to get information with regards to services and interfaces. To be
> very cautious: I have the feeling that the information submitted by the
> office is correct, but somehow allocated memory in the UNO bridge seems to
> get corrupted (under very special circumstances I was able to remote
> control the office to create a new document...). Since the UNO-bridge is
> based on several threads my guess is that there is a problem with
> thread-safe use of shared memory. Unfortunately, at the moment I am bound
> with a money earning project, so my time for this issue is rather limited.
> However, I definitely will help in any possible way to solve this problem.
>
> > > So far the MinGW build is still a very experimental thing; I mostly use
> > > that when I develop something Windows-only because I can still keep my
> > > workflow, but as the binaries built with the MinGW SDK will be
> > > incompatible with the LibreOffice release builds, I am not sure it makes
> > > much sense to invest effort in that at this stage.
> >
> > Does it mean, that an application linked against the MinGW SDK, could not
> > connect to a MSVC standard libreoffice installation?
>
> Well, I use a 2 years old SDK (MinGW) which is able to connect to an
> off-the-shelf MS-LibreOffice. Sure, there are some shortcomings (not all
> event listeners work properly), but for my application it is sufficient.

Ok, so it seems to be at least an alternative.

> > And second, what are the alternatives of using the SDK to connect to
> > LibreOffce (if an compiler switch to MSVC is not wanted)? Ole connection
> > may be used, but ole is not platform independent (or is it available
> > under linux or MacOS?).
> SDK and Linux is a dream - it simply works.
> SDK and Windows is not so easy (I have problems to compile the SDK stuff
> under MSVC - however my MSVC knowledge is rather small; I definitely would
> prefer MinGW). A (Mac-addicted) colleague told me that the SDK for MacOS
> available half a year ago only contained code for 32-Bit Macs, which does
> not work with recent 64-Bit machines/os'es. I don't know the actual
> situation with regards to that issue, but I would expect that using the
> correct wordlength the MacOS-SDK should be comparable to the Linux version.

Over all, the SDK seems to be not as platfrom independent as the LibreOffice
project itself.

Regards,

Joachim