checking "external" lib versions (was: libreoffice + liborcus build problem)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue May 21 05:10:56 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 05:40:38PM -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:

> >Trying to build libreoffice 4.0.3.3 with liborcus 0.5.1 and that
> >unfortunately
> >fails with:
> You can't build the 4.0 branch with 0.5.1. You need to use 0.3.0.

As package maintainer, I have been repeatedly nagged about the versioning of
the essentially TDF-hosted but officially external libs (not only orcus, but
also wp*, cmis and friends). "Proper" versioning would go with full so-name
versioning for ABI-changes etc. AFAIK Rene is retrofitting this somewhat on the
Debian packages, but it would be better if this would happen directly upstream.
If we dont want to do that work, wouldnt it make sense though to at least
detect the version in the configure-script to safe newcomers frustrations?
Might be an EasyHack, if the supported versions of these "external" libs are
clearly defined.

Best,

Bjoern