[GSoC] Enhanced database ranges, some clarification needed.

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Mon May 27 13:43:56 PDT 2013

Hey Akash

2013/5/17 Akash Shetye <shetyeakash at gmail.com>:
> To Kohei,
>
> Finally done with shifting from my college to my residence. Here is the
> competency test I told you about, have worked with obsolete 4.0 branch.
> It adds support for representing database range labels as ScDBDataLabel
> objects and their subsequent data and label and total areas.
>
> Every ScDBData object has its own vector of ScDBDataLabel objects called
> aLabels.
> There is no GetLabelVector() like methos in ScDBData yet.
> The hack adds another checkbox to the define database range dialog for
> ticking if the range has row headers.
> Both row and column headers are represented by ScDBDataLabel only, you can
> use the bIsColHeader to distinguish them.
> The methods of ScDBDataLabel are designed to allow getting various areas
> like its header string cell, it's data etc for use in the interpreting stage
> for references to #DATA, #TOTAL etc
> You will find the code sloppy mixed around with irrelevant sal debugs, I
> have regretfully failed to give all my time to it.
> The header file for ScDBDataLabel
> The cxx file for ScDBDataLabel
> The diffs showing changes in ScDBData's constructor to use the bHasRH for
> the presence of row headers, changes at various places instantiating
> ScDBData and the code for populating the ScDBData aLabels vector in one of
> its constructors (one invoked by define range dialog)
> The total row support is not in yet, it will be on similar lines as the row
> header addition.
> Also changes made post defining the ranges do not reflect in vector since
> code for handling updates is not written yet.
>
> I hope the interesting change meets you expectations. Do suggest changes and
> more design inputs.

So first a warm welcome to this year's GSoC.

I'm sorry that we missed this mail but the last two weeks were a bit
crazy for everyone around with the feature freeze.

Could you please use git and a master build for all the work as it
becomes incredibly difficult for us otherwise. In the near future we
will create a feature branch for the GSoC work where you can push
directly and which will hopefully make building easier for you.

If you did it not already you should also create a gerrit account as
this one will be used for the commit access.

So enough with administrative stuff and back to the code.

At the moment I don't understand the design idea behind ScDBDataLabel
yet so it would be good to write a few words about your design. I
can't say much to the implementation as it is not doing much yet
except that there is a bit much duplicate that can be simplified later
but I want to discuss the design first.

Regards,
Markus