Firebird

MiguelAngel mariosv at miguelangel.mobi
Tue May 28 16:12:54 PDT 2013

El 28/05/13 20:48, Andrzej J. R. Hunt escribió:
> Hi Miguel, Javier, Andres
>
> I've just seen that you are working on a Firebird DB connector for
> LibreOffice -- I've just been selected to work on this as part of the
> Google Summer of Code -- it would be cool if I could also work with you
> on implementing this! (I'm currently still studying for exams but will
> be working full time on this from roughly the 10th June.)
>
> The major issue I can see at the moment is selecting which version of
> Firebird to use, which I see is also being discussed on the
> Firebird-devel list [1]. All the details are in that thread -- but
> basically it looks like FB3 won't be out until next year and there isn't
> much documentation of the new API, on the other hand it looks like FB3
> will be easier/cleaner to use. Personally I'd favour implementing 3.0
> for those reasons, but that would mean that it couldn't be shipped as
> the default DB in LibreOffice until FB3 is stable, which I can see as
> being a convincing argument for using 2.5 instead. As far as I can tell
> the API should be stable from the first alpha release of FB3 [2], i.e.
> API changes shouldn't be an issue if using 3.0.
>
> I'd be interested to know what your views are on this / which version
> you've been using so far? I guess the LO developers in general might
> also have some input on which is preferable?
>
> Also have any of you looked at integrating Firebird into the LO build
> system yet, as this was one of the first things I was planning on doing
> (although that is dependent on the choice of FB 2.5 vs 3). I think
> Andres mentioned he was concentrating on developing on Linux at first --
> I could look into the Windows specifics for Firebird to ensure things
> are as cross-platform as possible from the start (although I should
> probably mention I don't have too much Windows experience yet, and my
> system isn't the fastest for building stuff there).
>
> I've create a wiki page where I'm putting down some notes on whats
> happening here -- I've also extracted the technical discussion and the
> estimated timeplan from my GSOC application in case that's useful to
> anyone else:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Base/FirebirdSQL . Feel
> free to add to/edit that if you wish.
>
> All the Best,
>
>      Andrzeje
>
> [1]: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.firebird.devel/2969
> [2]: http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/roadmap/

Thanks Andrzej for start the thread, avoiding me to do it as Michael
have been suggested in bugzilla, and of course by create the Wiki page.

In relation with the version, and thinking that time in an application
like Firebird is not the same than in one as LibreOffice, wait for the
first stable FB3, does it seem more time than we want?
Maybe some communication and feedback with Firebird devs can achieve a
better acknowledgement to take a decision, specially about can be
technical difficulties with embedded 2.5.

Firebird 2.5 server works nice for me in Windows 7 with ODBC and
JDBC-jaybird to retrieve data.

I can only help with test. But I'm glad to see this integration going
forward.

Thanks in advance to all.
Miguel Ángel.

  * Inglés - detectado