How are installation sets being built?

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 9 13:58:51 PDT 2013

Hi Stephan, *,

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:

> I was always thinking that --enable-epm (despite its name) was the magic
> autogen.input switch to instruct a top-level "make" (or "make check") to
> also build installation sets (deb, rpm, dmg, msi, ...), on all
platforms.

Nope - but it is the prerequisite to build deb and rpms - and was also
uses for dmg, due to similarities, but msi is completely different and
not supported by epm.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/ReleaseBuilds

> Where
> is that stored in git or similar (if it is stored anywhere at all)?

Not stored in git - the relevant feature switches are all in the
distro-config, the other parameters are just details, like where to
store external tarballs, what languages to build, options to
accellerate one-off builds (disable-dependency-tracking) - and the
packaging options for linux.

build process creates input file for epm, and epm converts to rpm spec
file and deb input file and runs rpmbuild/dpkg to pack the binaries
into the package.

without epm, you cannot feed rpmbuild/deb with the corresponding
controlfile, so that's why this also toggles building of installation
sets.

I don't know why it is used for Mac, as there are no individual
packages, but I assume that's scp2 heritage.

> Similarly, how exactly are any of those "nightly" installation sets
> (uploaded from select tinderboxes, IIUC) being built?  How can you trace
> that?

My understanding is that those are the regular installsets that are
created using epm.

The configure switches for the individual tinderboxes are in the logs
on tinderbox.libreoffice.org, and there should be a build-info file in
the directory with the uploaded packages, e.g.
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/libreoffice-4-1/MacOSX-Intel@27-OSX_10.7.0-gcc_4.2.1_llvm/2013-10-09_13.15.57/libreoffice-4-1~2013-10-09_13.15.57_build_info.txt
that lists the configure switches.

HTH,
ciao