[libreoffice-projects] minutes of ESC call ...

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Fri Oct 11 12:11:57 CEST 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:21:13AM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 10/10/2013 09:16 PM, David Tardon wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 05:09:34PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
>>> * Bundled extensions (Stephan)

>> So, some extra thoughts / suggestions for that:

>> There are two categories of extensions:

>> 1. "Internal" extensions. These are built from sources and include
>>     presentation-minimizer, nlpsolver, wiki-publisher and
>>     mysql-connector-ooo. I think it should be easy to add a
>>     GeneratedPackage into the Extension gbuild class that copies the
>>     extension root dir from workdir to the right place in instdir. (The
>>     .oxt file will still be produced and copied to solver, but I do not
>>     think this is worth any more effort. Much better way to spend one's
>>     time would be to convert these extensions to optional components.)

> But what was the story with mysql-connector-ooo, these days
> apparently enabled via a switch called
> --enable-ext-mariadb-connector?  That switch is off by default, and
> it is not mentioned in any distro-configs/*.conf, so appears to be
> effectively dead code.  Or was that the extension that cannot be
> included in installation sets for whatever reason (and is only
> included in our source tree to make it easy to build it)?  I guess
> Lionel knows.

Links against GPLed code, so TDF's policy of no strongly copylefted
code means that TDF builds don't bundle it.

Ubuntu, Debian and (I guess) most GNU/Linux distributions have no
problem with (strongly) copylefted code and they ship it.

I'd like it to be kept as an extension (not optional part of
LibreOffice), so that third parties can build it and redistribute it
at their will (more easily than distributing whole builds of
LibreOffice). The easier that extension is to build, the better.

--
Lionel